Friday, May 11, 2012

My…how times have changed!

Irene and I have been on the road now for about 7 months. Over that time I can’t help but think about how things have changed over the years in trucking. Growing up, my Dad was a driver for many years…I had uncles that drove, and my older brother is still a driver today…so I know a little bit about how it used to be.

Let’s start with the days of old…the early truckers who had no GPS, no laptops and Google maps or smart phones. They just had a map, CB radio, note pad and a pencil…oh, and a dime if they needed to make a call from the pay phone. These are the guy’s who paved the way for today’s truckers. Best known for their thermos’ full of coffee, driving for long, long hours, and of course always stopping off at the truck stop for a little diner food. And we cannot forget the hat, boots, and a giant belt buckle. There are not many of these Icons left out there but occasionally Irene and I will come across one at the truck stop sitting in his truck with his map, pad, and pencil mapping out his route for his next run…almost like stepping back in time when you see them. That’s just the way they learned the job, and it’s always worked for them and that’s all that matters. I have a lot of respect for these old schooler’s…and wish that a lot of today’s drivers could take a lesson or two from them.

Speaking of today’s drivers…oh here we go!

First let me start off by saying that not all of today’s drivers fall in this category. There are a lot of good drivers out there today, both male and female who do things right…present themselves professionally…and take pride in who they represent. We have met some great drivers along the way…and made some great friends…and to them I say, thank you for making a positive impression to the public.

As for the small group that I am about to kick in the ASS…shame on you for the nasty impression you leave!!! Here it is plain and simple…

If you want to wear your pajamas while you  are driving…please change into your work clothes before you exit the truck. So many times I have seen drivers delivering to their customers, or at truck stops, and yes even at their own employers place in there pajama bottoms…if you worked for me, I would fire your ASS!

Next there are the ones who feel the need to drive  with  flip flops or slippers on…boots okay, sneakers okay…anything else I would fire your ASS!

Here is another little tip for some of you guys and girls…the truck stops have showers…use them! They are usually free if you have a rewards card at some of them. When I can smell you from across the store that’s gross…and when I climb back in my truck and can still smell you that’s just NASTY and you are going to a customer and representing your company...oh hell no…you guessed it ,your ASS would be fired!

For the ones who can’t take their lazy tail out of the truck and walk to a trash can, to dispose of their garbage…that would rather just toss it out the window…yes once again your ASS would be fired also!

Here is another clue to help ya along with your career…when you stop for fuel at the fuel island, fill your truck first, and then pull forward, so the next person coming in can fuel while you shop or use the restroom. It’s not rocket science…it’s common courtesy!

Oh…and speaking of using the restroom…when you finish, wash your hands, and this includes women too…where the hell were you brought up in, a barn?

The CB radio is used to relay info regarding weather problems, traffic delays, where a radar trap may exist, and other useful information. It’s not meant to talk about your personal life, sexual experiences, or other personal matters…oh and cussing on the CB radio…if you worked for me…you guessed it…FIRED!

I could go on and on about the 10% that ruin it for the rest of the industry…but I am probably boring ya’ll, so I will stop my rant. I just wish the few bad apples out there could take some lessons from the old schoolers. And if they couldn’t figure it out after that…then they need an old school boot in there ASS…notice I said boot and not flip-flop or slipper…lol

I’m done with my rant…and feeling better now…lol…ya’ll be safe out there and do not forget MOM this Sunday on Mother’s Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors